Fish stick tacos are a quick and easy weeknight dinner, perfect for taco Tuesday! Avocado crema takes these tacos from good to amazing! It’s literally bake, prep, assemble and eat in less than 30 minutes! To save on time, we’re cheating with frozen fish sticks!
Some nights frozen food section is there to help, so let’s use it! Fish sticks take the longest, so use that time to prep, get the kids involved, and you’ll have dinner done in no time!
- Tortillas – Corn tortillas are perfect for fish tacos, consider serving two per person.
- Fish sticks – You can make your own or get a pack from the frozen food section of your supermarket. Use 2 fish sticks per taco.
- Coleslaw mix – You can get a store-bought pack or shred your own cabbage: green and red work well.
- Jalapeno is a medium-sized chili pepper with medium heat. It’s totally optional.
- Red onion – Due to the mild flavor, red onions are perfect for tacos.
- Sour cream – Sour cream is great, but if you prefer you can also use greek yogurt or crème fraîche.
- Avocado – Avocado is a key ingredient for the avocado crema sauce.
- Fresh cilantro is amazing in this avocado crema!
- Chili powder – You may adjust the amount to your palate.
- Smoked paprika adds an amazing smoky flavor.
- Lime juice adds burst of fresh flavor and zest!
What fish is used to make fish sticks and how do you make them?
Fish sticks (or fish fingers) are usually made using whitefish, like cod, hake, haddock, or pollock, these have then been battered or breaded.
They can be found in the frozen food section of your local supermarket. Follow the package instructions for temperature and duration.
Spread the fish sticks out, so they cook evenly, and if the instructions call for it, turn them over halfway through the cooking process so they are crispy on both sides and cooked through.
How to make these tacos:
- Bake the fish sticks according to the package instructions.
- Make the avocado crema.
- Warm up the tortillas in a microwave, wrapped in a wet paper towel, or on a skillet.
- Assemble the tacos once the fish sticks are done – follow my step-by-step below.
How do you assemble the tacos?
- Place coleslaw mix on top of the tortilla, followed by two fish sticks.
- Drizzle with a tablespoon of avocado crema and top with onion and jalapeno slices. Enjoy!
Are fish sticks healthier than chicken nuggets?
Generally, chicken nuggets have fewer calories than fish sticks. They’re essentially identical when it comes to fat, cholesterol, protein, fiber, and sugar.
Read the package instructions as each brand is different and purchase the fish sticks that work for you and your family.
I hope you’ll love this recipe as much as I do! Let me know once you’ve tried it by leaving a comment below or sharing a photo and tagging @busy_cooks on Instagram!
Fish Stick Tacos
- 16 frozen fish sticks
- 8 corn tortillas warmed
- 1 cup coleslaw mix
- ½ cup red onion sliced
- ¼ cup jalapeno sliced
- Lime wedges for serving
For Avocado Crema:
- 1 large avocado peeled and pitted
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup fresh cilantro loosely packed
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 1 lime juiced
To prepare fish sticks:
- Bake the frozen fish sticks according to the package instructions. For me, it was to bake the fish sticks in a 475°F oven for 12 minutes, flipping the fish sticks halfway.
- Meanwhile, warm the tortillas. You can warm it up in the microwave, wrapped in a wet paper towel, or in a dry pan on stovetop over medium high heat. Keep the warmed tortillas covered with a clean kitchen towel.
To make avocado crema:
- In a small food processor or blender, combine avocado, sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, chili powder, smoked paprika and salt. And puree everything until smooth, scraping the sides half way.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve. The avocado crema can be made in advance and stays fresh in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Make sure it is tightly covered to prevent discoloration.
To assemble the tacos:
- Grab a warmed corn tortilla and place 2 tablespoons of coleslaw mix on top of the tortilla, followed by two fish sticks.
- Drizzle with a tablespoon of avocado crema and top with onion and jalapeno slices. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges on the side.
* Disclaimer: All nutrition information are estimates only. Read full nutrition disclosure.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.