Why you’ll love this recipe:
This homemade taco seasoning is the best way to add Mexican-inspired flavor to your favorite weeknight meals. You’ll love this homemade taco seasoning mix, because:
- It’s made with just six simple ingredients and is free from refined sugar or additives.
- You can easily adjust the proportions of ingredients used to suit your flavor preferences.
- The blend is super versatile and can be used with a wide variety of recipes.
You’ll never go back to store-bought taco seasoning again! This DIY version is so much better and easy to prepare.
Key Ingredient Notes:
This easy homemade taco seasoning recipe calls for simple ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
Let’s talk about the details of what you need:
- Chili powder – Used to add depth and a hint of heat.
- Ground cumin – A must-have ingredient, this aromatic spice adds a slightly nutty taste and extra warmth.
- Smoked paprika – This adds a subtle smokiness. If you can’t find smoked paprika, regular paprika can be substituted.
- Garlic powder – Adds richness and balances out the more spicy ingredients.
- Onion powder – You don’t want to omit this! It won’t make your seasoning mix taste like onions, but it will add a sharp, slightly sweet taste.
- Oregano – This adds earthy undertones to the mix, creating a well-rounded spice blend.
How to make homemade taco seasoning:
This DIY taco seasoning recipe is ridiculously easy. In just a few minutes it’s ready to use.
- Step 1: Mix all the spices together.
- Step 2: Transfer the mix to a jar.
Now, you’re ready to cook!
Recipes don’t get any faster or easier than this homemade taco seasoning. However, to save time when assembling, I recommend gathering all your spices before you begin. This prevents you from running all over the kitchen trying to find the proper ingredients.
Then, go ahead and make a double batch to keep on hand for simple dinners that come together in minutes!
How long does this taco seasoning recipe last?
Stored properly in a cool, dry place, this blend will stay fresh for up to 6 months.
What’s the best way to store this mix?
For the best results, I recommend transferring your taco seasoning to a spice jar or an airtight container. Then, keep it stored in a cool, dry place like a pantry, spice cabinet, or cupboard.
Although it’s tempting to keep it close to the stove, the heat can cause reduce the shelf-life of the seasoning, causing the spices to lose their flavor faster.
Ways to use this homemade taco seasoning mix:
Now that you know how to make your own taco seasoning, it’s time to put it to use! The most obvious way to use it is with beef tacos or chicken tacos. However, it’s also great with recipes like my Dorito taco casserole, Instant Pot chicken chili, Instant Pot refried beans, and all your favorite Tex-Mex and Mexican meals.
There will be variations depending on the brand used, but 3 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning generally equals 1 store-bought packet.
No substitute will yield the exact same flavor. However, f you’re in a pinch, you can replace taco seasoning with equal parts chili powder and cumin.
No. The two are similar, but taco seasoning is typically milder in flavor. This is because Mexican seasoning contains ancho powder and chipotle chile pepper which gives it a little more kick.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 spice jar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Mix all the spices together and put it in a spice jar.
* Disclaimer: All nutrition information are estimates only. Read full nutrition disclosure.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.