Why you’ll love this recipe:
Pulled chicken sliders vanish quickly at game-day parties! Do yourself a favor and get in the food line right away, or save yourself one for later. Saucy chicken is smothered in cheese and topped with crispy thick-cut bacon, then baked until hot and melty. Basting the buns with butter makes them golden brown and crispy. Sweet, spicy, crunchy, cheesy, it’s all the things!
- It’s as simple as stir, assemble, and bake!
- Crowd-pleasing BBQ sliders in 30 minutes
- Even picky kids & teenagers love them
If you love barbecue chicken, these portable sandwiches are a must-try. Double or triple this recipe and quickly feed a crowd or just make them on an ordinary weekday and watch them disappear.
Key Ingredient Notes:
- Shredded chicken – I make a big batch of shredded chicken at the beginning of the week and use it in chicken noodle soup, chicken orzo soup, & these barbecue chicken sliders. It’s a quick and easy time-saver when life is hectic. If you don’t have shredded chicken, you can buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it yourself. Simply remove the meat from the bones and mix in a stand mixer for 30 seconds or so.
- BBQ sauce – Use your favorite brand! Everything from original to chipotle barbecue tastes delicious on these. You really can’t go wrong.
- Slider rolls – Slider rolls are smaller than regular buns. I recommend Hawaiian sweet rolls or another brioche-style slider bun. Brioche buns have butter and egg in them for a soft, pillowy texture.
- Bacon – Thick cut bacon is a great choice for sandwiches. It’s thick and crispy, which means it won’t get lost under the bun.
- Red onion – Adds spicy crunch! If you can’t have red onions, just leave them off.
- Cheddar cheese – Cheddar is a classic choice, but gouda, gruyere, mozzarella, fiesta, or Italian cheese all taste great! Or use a combination for extra cheesy goodness.
- Butter – Melted butter creates a golden brown exterior.
How to make this recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, combine the shredded chicken and barbecue sauce. Stir until well coated and feel free to make it as saucy as you like!
- Spray a large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Slice the rolls in half and place the bottom halves into the baking dish.
- Spread the shredded BBQ chicken over the rolls in an even layer.
- Add more BBQ sauce if desired.
- Top the shredded chicken with the cooked bacon, sliced red onions, and shredded cheese.
- Top with the other halves of the rolls, then brush the tops with melted butter.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake uncovered for another 5 minutes.
- Let the chicken sliders cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Meat: Don’t have any chicken? Try pulled pork, ham, or sliced turkey!
- Toppings: Customize these barbecue chicken sliders with all your favorite toppings! Try pickled jalapenos, banana peppers, roasted red peppers, sliced pineapple, or coleslaw.
- Heat: Add hot sauce or chipotle sauce to the barbecue chicken. Top with pickled jalapenos.
- Butter: Season the melted butter with spices or parmesan cheese.
- Cook the bacon ahead of time! You can fry bacon in the oven with little to no mess. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a sheet pan with aluminum foil. Arrange the bacon in a single layer on top of the aluminum foil and bake until crispy.
- Use a rotisserie chicken in a pinch. If you don’t have time to make shredded chicken, it’s no problem. Just pick up a rotisserie chicken and shred it in your mixer or with two forks. I don’t recommend canned chicken.
- There’s no need to separate the rolls. Keep the bottom buns and top buns attached to each other and just place the whole set in the pan at once.
- Assemble the BBQ chicken sliders a day ahead of time. Store in the refrigerator, then once ready to cook, brush on the butter and bake!
- Barbeque chicken sliders are best enjoyed immediately, but leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Reheat the sliders in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until hot and melty. Just wrap the sliders in aluminum foil and place in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
Chicken sliders taste great with any of your classic BBQ sides like baked beans, coleslaw, potato wedges, pasta salad, potato salad, or french fries. They go with nearly anything! Or for a lighter side dish, serve with cucumber salad or an easy mixed green salad with strawberries.
Boneless chicken breasts or boneless chicken thighs both shred well. Chicken thighs are higher in fat, which makes them a bit more moist. Just be sure to only shred the meat. You don’t want skin or bones in your shredded chicken.
The easiest way to shred chicken is in the bowl of a stand mixer. Use the paddle attachment and mix on low speed until the chicken shreds. It shouldn’t take more than a minute. If you don’t have a stand mixer, use two forks instead.
BBQ Chicken Sliders
- medium bowl
- baking dish
- basting brush
- 2 pounds cooked, shredded chicken Note 1
- 1 ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- 12 slider rolls
- 6 slices thick cut bacon cooked
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese Note 2
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Spray 9×13-in baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, add the shredded chicken and BBQ sauce and mix. Set aside.
- Slice the slider rolls in half horizontally and place the bottom halves in the baking dish.
- Spread the BBQ shredded chicken over the rolls, top with the cooked bacon and red onion slices, then sprinkle on the cheddar cheese.
- Top with the other halves of the rolls and brush the tops with the melted butter.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for another 5 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
– Barbeque chicken sliders are best enjoyed immediately, but leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
– Reheat the sliders in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until hot and melty. Just wrap the sliders in aluminum foil and place in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
* Disclaimer: All nutrition information are estimates only. Read full nutrition disclosure.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.