Bored of your usual dinner menu? Change things up with these cheesy savory french toasts. These are quick and easy, unusual for sure, but delicious, nutritious and filling! Don’t we all sometimes just want to eat breakfast for dinner?
Frittata and quiche are great options for breakfast for dinner. But what if you don’t have time or will to bake a quiche? And you aren’t really sold on sweet dinner either.
Well, try some savory french toasts!!
These may sound super weird, but trust me they won’t disappoint!
Absolutely perfect breakfast for dinner to get out of dinner rut.
Yes, we won’t be having a pool of maple syrup with these french toasts, but who can say no to CHEESE?!
My mom used to make this for us when we were kids. Minus the cheese, because cheese wasn’t very common in Mongolia back then. I didn’t know what to call this, but the concept is pretty similar to french toast, so I’m calling these cheesy french toasts. You cool?
And because naked french toasts are borderline boring, I dressed mine up with light and fresh tomato avocado topping. It’s colorful, nutritious and filling! Perfect dinner, if you ask me! My toddler also approved this!!
Savory French Toasts
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream or half and half, or milk
- ½ cup (50g) grated cheese of your choice (I use cheddar cheese)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil vegetable oil or bacon grease
- 10 slices of French bread
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ lime
- To make french toasts, chop parsley into small pieces.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy whipping cream, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Heat ½ tablespoon of oil in a large skillet (I used 12-inch non-stick skillet) over medium high heat.
- Dip bread slices in the egg mixture one at a time, piercing with a fork to thoroughly soak bread slices inside.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Place 4-5 dipped bread slices in hot skillet and cook until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining bread slices.
- To make the topping, halve the cherry tomatoes and cut avocado into small pieces.
- Combine tomatoes and avocado in a small bowl and drizzle with lime juice.
- Serve french toasts warm topped with tomato avocado topping.
* Disclaimer: All nutrition information are estimates only. Read full nutrition disclosure.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.