Why you’ll love this recipe:
If you haven’t noticed yet, I’m a huge fan of converting classic recipes into crockpot recipes! This crockpot white chicken chili is loaded with tender bites of dark meat chicken (my fave!), creamy white beans, and sweet corn. It’s all swimming in a rich and creamy broth with a hint of heat from the green chiles. I can’t get enough of this soup!
- No need to babysit the stove! Your slow cooker does all the heavy lifting.
- Only 10 minutes of prep time. Just dump and go.
- A creamy and satisfying white chili that’s perfect for toppings.
- No cream cheese or heavy cream necessary! Sour cream orovides a rich, but lighter creaminess.
If you’re tired of classic beef chili, slow cooker white chicken chili is a must-try! Don’t forget to load it with toppings. I highly recommend sliced avocado, crushed tortilla chips, diced jalapenos, and a hefty sprinkle of Monterey Jack. Yum!
Key Ingredient Notes:
- Chicken thighs – Use boneless skinless chicken thighs for easy shredding. If you prefer white meat chicken, you can swap them with boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Spices – Salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, and cayenne season the broth. If you don’t like any heat, omit the cayenne.
- Onion & garlic – You can use sweet, yellow, or white onions. For a quick shortcut, you can buy a jar of minced garlic instead of cloves. A jar of garlic lasts up to three months in the fridge.
- Jalapeno – For a subtle heat that complements the creamy broth. If you can’t handle spiciness, you can leave them out. If you like mild heat, remove the ribs before you dice them. The ribs hold capsaicin, a chemical compound that contains the fiery flavor!
- Chicken stock – For a healthier option, use reduced-sodium chicken broth. If you’re in a pinch, vegetable broth works too. I like to stock up on chicken stock when it goes on sale so I never run out. It’s a crucial ingredient for soups and stews.
- Green chiles – Green chiles are mild in comparison to jalapenos and they provide sweet heat. I highly recommend them as the heat isn’t overpowering and complements the rich broth.
- Sour cream – Many white chicken chili recipes call for heavy ingredients like cream cheese or heavy cream. I prefer sour cream, which is lighter yet luscious and creamy!
- Cornstarch – To thicken the soup.
How to make this recipe:
- Slow cook: Pull out your slow cooker and dump the chicken thighs, spices, onion, jalapenos, garlic, beans, corn, green chiles, and chicken stock into it. Give it a good stir and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Shred the chicken: Once the chicken is cooked and tender, transfer it to a bowl, and shred with two forks. Transfer the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker.
- Thicken: In a small bowl, stir the sour cream and cornstarch. Stir the mixture into the slow cooker along with the juice of one lime. Cook on high for 30 more minutes, until the chicken chili has thickened slightly.
- Serve: Stir in the fresh cilantro and serve with all your favorite toppings! I top it with sliced avocado, crushed tortilla chips, and shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
- Adjust the heat to your tastebuds! Green chiles are typically mild, but can be purchased spicy. If you’re sensitive to heat, leave out the jalapenos. If you like a little bit of heat, you can remove the ribs before you dice the jalapenos. Just be sure to wear gloves or the capsaicin can transfer to your hands and burn your eyes.
- Don’t forget the toppings! This crockpot white chicken chili is delish, but it’s even better with toppings! Try diced jalapenos, sliced avocado, fresh cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese, green onions, or crushed tortilla chips.
- Add the sour cream at the end. If you cook dairy too long, it can curdle and ruin the soup. Add it 30 minutes before you plan to serve the soup. This gives it just enough time to thicken.
- Dairy-free: Swap the sour cream with full-fat coconut cream. Do NOT use cream of coconut, which sounds similar but is sweetened.
- Gluten-free: This recipe is naturally gluten-free! Just be sure to use gluten-free chicken stock.
- Beans: You can swap the white beans with pinto or black beans. Just be sure to drain the black beans so you don’t muddy the color of the soup.
- Veggies: Carrots, green peppers, celery, mushrooms, and potatoes are great additions.
- Store: Transfer leftover soup to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: White chicken chili is freezer-friendly! Transfer leftover soup to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Reheat: Thaw frozen soup in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat. Reheat on the stovetop over medium heat or in the microwave until hot.
A mixture of sour cream and cornstarch thickens the chili. Combining the cornstarch with the sour cream first prevents it from clumping when it mixes with the hot soup. Sour cream adds a nice creaminess, while the cornstarch thickens it.
It’s better to cook chicken in the crockpot on low, however that’s not always possible. Boneless skinless chicken thighs are very forgiving though. Dark meat has more fat and connective tissue, which results in a juicy and tender bite, even after it cooks for a long time. If you only have time to cook it on high, go with chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts.
White chili is made of chicken, green chiles, and chicken broth. Beef chili is typically made with chili powder and ground beef with a tomato base, while white chili has a creamy base. It’s typically thickened with cream cheese, sour cream, or half and half.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- slow cooker
- 2 pounds chicken thighs Note 1
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium-sized onion diced
- 2 jalapenos deseeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern white beans drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn drained, Note 2
- 2 (4 ounce) can green chiles
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- juice from 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- To a 4 quart or larger slow cooker, add the chicken thighs, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, cayenne pepper, onion, jalapenos, garlic, beans, corn, green chiles and chicken stock. Stir and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
- When the chicken is tender, remove and shred using two forks. Add back into the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and cornstarch. Stir into the slow cooker along with the juice from one lime. Cook on HIGH for another 30 minutes or until the chili has thickened slightly.
- Stir in the fresh cilantro and serve, enjoy!
– Store: Transfer leftover soup to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
– Freeze: White chicken chili is freezer-friendly! Transfer leftover soup to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
– Reheat: Thaw frozen soup in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat. Reheat on the stovetop over medium heat or in the microwave until hot.
* Disclaimer: All nutrition information are estimates only. Read full nutrition disclosure.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.